What a Doula does…
A Dou- what?!
- In ancient Greece a female-slave of the highest order (Errr, WTF?!) now a trained, non-medical professional providing practical and emotional support to women and their partners before, during and after childbirth (Yeah, much better!)
So this tiny baby (or two or three!) arrives and you’re like; ‘OMG the world just flipped on its axis!’ The laundry’s pilling up, you’re living off Marmite Toasties and tins of cheesy pasta, you don’t remember the last time you washed your hair and you’d do anything to get a peaceful nights sleep. You’re freaking out because you have no idea if the baby’s poo is the right colour, if she’s feeding enough or too much, how much crying is too much crying and you’d still do anything for a good nights sleep.
Now breathe. Put the kettle on, I’m on my way.
When you choose to seek support from a Doula you will get a handle on things again. You’ll feel like you are back in charge of the chaos. We Doulas work for you and with you. We help with providing cares for the baby. We help by doing the grocery shopping. We’ll be by your side the first time you take the baby on the tube or the pram on the bus. We’ll help you fathom the car seat. We help by cooking you and your equally exhausted partner a nutritious and restorative meal. We help by caring for your other children, by doing the school-run, by putting the bins out and walking the dog.
Doula’s sweat the small stuff so that you can do what is most important – recover from labour, learn to feed and fall in love with your baby.
If you chose specifically to work with me, you’ll get this support 24 hours a day for 5 or 6 days per week for up to 6 weeks. I will literally move in with you for that period – don’t freak out now, I’m not like one of those unwelcome in-laws! I’m discreet, I respect your privacy, your space and your time to spend either alone or with your partner.
- After baby arrives I will ensure you are well tended to; that you eat well and rest well so that you can regain your strength after labour and totally rock at being a new mum.
- I will support your breast-feeding goals by giving you current, well-researched and tried-and-tested hints and tips so that you can be confident in your baby’s latch, protect your nipples! and have rock-solid belief that your body can and is nourishing your baby to the max!
- I will keep your house tidy and your laundry clean so that you have time to bond with your baby and share in that new love with your partner.
- I will keep your older children entertained so that they feel as much cared for as your new baby and you can let go of the mum-guilt.
- I will settle a fussy baby during the evening so that you can read your other children a story and tuck them into bed at night.
- At night, I can rest in the nursery with your baby so that you can be feel assured the baby is safe whilst you get some awesome kip.
- I will bring the baby to you for feeds, or bottle feed your baby for you during the night, if you wish, and then settle the baby back to sleep so that your sleep is disturbed as little as possible.
Still unconvinced you’d benefit from hiring a Doula? Here are the hard-nosed facts:
– Women who are well supported after the birth of their baby have a significantly reduced risk of Postnatal Depression.
Postnatal Depression is a growing concern in the Western world, where we women have become isolated from the help of extended family members and convinced we should be ‘capable’ of doing it all.
We are expected to get on with it, be amazing at EVERYTHING and be back in our skinny jeans within 6 weeks. I cry BS to that! It takes a tribe to raise a new mum – raising a baby single-handedly is unbelievably difficult – and if your tribe’s not available to help, your Doula will stand in.
– Women who are supported by a Doula report improved feelings of wellbeing
Hello?! Wouldn’t you feel better with round-the-clock professional support from someone who has your back, stands with you in your corner, praises you, encourages you, empowers you, tells you “You’ve got this!”, holds your hand when you cry, breathes calm into the stress of cluster feeding…?!
– Women who are well supported after the birth of their baby are more likely to achieve their breastfeeding goals
Breastfeeding might not be your goal – and that’s totally fine by me – I will support your feeding choices whole-heartedly. I am NOT the breastfeeding police! I am however very passionate that women who want to breastfeed are enabled to do so and that for them breastfeeding becomes an easy and enjoyable experience.
Too many times I’ve heard unhelpful, incorrect, inconsistent, conflicting and counterintuitive (quite frankly) bad ‘advice’ given to breastfeeding Mamas.
When you choose to work with me, you can be assured that my breastfeeding knowledge is current, inline with UNICEF’s Baby-Friendly Initiative, results- and evidence-based. Plus, I’ve been a breastfeeding mum too – not that I presume our journeys will be the same – but I do understand first-hand the pain of Mastitis, the frustration of feeding a child with a tongue-tie or oral-thrush, and the toll of persistent nighttime feeding.
I can support you right from the day your baby is born so that you feel you are getting all the support and encouragement you need to get all that incredible Oxytocin and Prolactin flowing, to latch and position the baby well, to recognise and differentiate hunger signs, to effectively burp your baby and to feel assured your body is producing enough milk and your baby is satiated.
If done well and early enough, these techniques can help enormously to build and establish your breast milk supply.
Finding a way to navigate those night feeds, using only the gentlest of methods to encourage a feeding/sleeping rhythm that works for baby and is sustainable for you, is what I am all about.
Did you also know that women who breastfeed are at a reduced risk of Postnatal Depression?
I am the only Doula in the UK providing the unique service of 24 hours per day, live-in postnatal support.
I combine my knowledge of Midwifery, my experience of being a Maternity Nurse and my skills as a Doula to give you the very best postnatal support.
Having someone on-hand throughout the day and night means you can confidently push through the challenges of raising a new baby as they occur; you’re not left for hours (or days!) panicking about a cracked nipples, projectile vomit, a sleepy baby or trapped wind. Instead you have a birth companion at your side – a warrior-friend who’ll ride those storms with you, in the moment, as they happen.
This really is the gold-standard of postnatal support!
5 days per week
6 days per week
Weeks 1 and 2
£1250 per week
£1500 per week
Weeks 3 and 4
£1150 per week
£1380 per week
Weeks 5 and 6
£1100 per week
£1350 per week
Payment plans are available. Please contact me directly to discuss.
How to book:
The booking process goes like this:
1 – You give me a call or request a callback and we’ll have a chat about how you’re doing and what you need.
2 – We’ll arrange a time to meet (in person or via Skype), together with your partner (if applicable). We’ll explore your requirements further so you can decide if we’re a good fit for each other. There is no obligation to book at this stage.
3 – When you do decide to go ahead, we’ll agree on the particulars (dates, rates and T’s & C’s) and you’ll secure the booking by making a deposit.
4 – I will see you when your baby arrives and we will make sure you have a freaking amazing postpartum adventure!